Approved Courses

We approve courses that meet agreed professional standards. Only people who have successfully completed an approved course can join a Register.

Before we approve a course we assess its content to ensure it meets agreed professional standards and to make sure graduates are appropriately trained. If you want us to assess your course please contact us.

Approved courses for interpreters for deafblind people

Approved courses for lipspeakers

Approved courses for notetakers

  • CACDP Level 3 Certificate for LSPs working with Deaf and Deafblind People (Notetaking) (This course is not currently being offered).
  • Signature notetaking endorsement 2016

Approved courses for sign language interpreters

To become a Registered Sign Language Interpreter you need to show us that you are highly skilled in a signed language like BSL, ISL or ASL and second language that can be another signed language or a spoken language. One of those languages must be native to the UK and Ireland.

You must hold one of these interpreting qualifications.

* with additional evidence.

You must also hold one of these language qualifications.

Approved courses for sign language translators

  • University of Wolverhampton MA Interpreting. (course available from 2018) Graduates of the MA Interpreting or those exiting with the Post Graduate Diploma interpreting can apply to register as RSLT.
    Graduates exiting with a Post Graduate Certificate having studied:
    • 7IG003 - Critical reflective interpreting practice and;
    • 7IG004 – Interpreting – healthcare settings; and
    • 7IG005 – Interpreting – Legal settings
    Can apply to register as RSLT.
  • Durham University MA in Translation Studies (graduates successfully completing the professional pathway including MELA43930 addressed using static and scrolling English and BSL) (Registration will be accepted from graduates up to and including July 2014. This course is not currently being offered).
  • Signature Level 6 Diploma in Sign Language Translation

Approved courses for speech to text reporters

  • You must have completed one of the NRCPD eligibility assessments

Check the register

Find a communication professional